Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Shakespeare's Secret

Book Review:

Shakespeare's Secret

Elise Broach, 272 pages.

Hero is the new girl in town, and, as usual, her Shakespearian name draws comments. There is something else that the town has been talking about though, and the missing Murphy diamond could be right under her nose.

As I was browsing the stacks at my local library, I stumbled upon this little volume. Its cover art and catchy title made me pick it up, and I'm glad I did. It was super fun. On the inside cover of this book which was published this year, was a bookplate that suggested reading this book aloud with a child. I would highly recommend that. It has very short chapters, and thus provides many good stopping places for a voice. And, it's just awesome fun! Take a mystery, add a dollop of history, a dash of Shakespeare and you've got a really fun story. It is the sort of book that makes you want to study history and plant a garden and read Shakespeare.

Go for it!!

No comments: