Friday, July 13, 2007

Book Review: Austenland

Austenland
Shannon Hale, pub. 2007, 194 pages.

Austenland was too delicious! Oh it was very much fun. At the signing I went to (where I got myself a signed copy of the book) Shannon Hale said that one of the first reviews that came back about the book called it "mindless froth." She said she was originally hurt by that, but then thought back on all of the very frothy steamed milks that she has had (since she doesn't drink coffee but is often out and about with those who do) and how tasty they are. She decided that she liked froth and was just going to ignore that "mindless" bit. My opinion is that this is tasty, tasty froth. Mom and Clare must read it.

Jane, a graphic designer career girl in our day and age, is in love with Mr. Darcy. Mr. Darcy as played by Colin Firth in the BBC version of the book, of course. No one else quite measures up. But, when she visits Pembrook Park, an Austen-themed resort, things might change. Will she get over her obsession, or fall in even deeper?

It's a short read -- a (clean) romantic comedy in book form. And pure fun once you get to Pembrook Park!

4 comments:

Anna said...

I love all of your insight, and book reviews. I have a friend (who happens to be a HA here) that has a book blog. She reviews some books, but also has a book club. Every time I read it, I think about you. I thought that you might be interested. Here is the site
http://www.mrscroppersbooks.blogspot.com/

Hilary said...

Excellent good. I also love the book reviews- keep them coming! Eclipse is getting closer! Like you didn't know... Anyway, I'm still wondering how you're going to react to BJD... I kind of want to go through it with white out and make it BYU approved

Jill Rogers said...

HA HA- I actually am acquainted with Shannon and really good friends of her sister. But we went to church with my aunt one time, and Shannon is in her ward and sat with us along with her two small kids Max and Magnolia ("Maggie"). Well at the time I was 7 months pregnant and Max, who is three, couldn't stop staring at my belly. So Shannon told him "She has a baby in her tummy." After which he got a very perplexed look on his face, looked at me, and said, "But it's so DARK in there!" BAH HA!

Alysa! I'm so glad that you guys have a blog too! I'll continue to add to my blog, as I'll continue to be bored probably. Have you guys already read Shannon's other books? I finished Goose Girl in like 3 days. It was cute. The Hale sisters are all SO funny. My aunt was best friends with their oldest sister while they lived in Vermont, but she was killed in a strange car accident- she was the only car involved. So since then their family has stayed close to my aunt's family. They're great.

Becky said...

You're convinced me, it's the next one I'm reading. I finished Harry Potter and now I've got plenty of time. :)