Friday, July 27, 2007

Michigan PhotoBlog!

MACKINAC ISLAND
this little island between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan is beyond picturesque. It's a big tourist attraction, and I can see why. Craig (Jacob's father) and Josh (Jacob's brother) accompanied us on a day trip to the island.

Jacob and I with our rented one-speeds, on the 8-mile trail around the island (which we biked with Craig and Josh).
Jacob in the Butterfly House on Mackinac Island. There were SO many butterflies in there! You can see one just above and to the right of the word "DO" on the sign. It's black and white spotted, with more white on its wing tips. Click on the picture for an enlargement.

This one is artistically titled "Self Portrait on a Bike." We were riding between the beach and the forest, and the view was gorgeous!

Water fun!

We had lots of fun tubing and riding in the boat. We even set up two tubes off of the back of the boat (with ropes of equal lengths) and got some bumper-car action going on. This is a picture of Jacob and his brother Jason tubing. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a fun tubing video. By the way, tubing is very fun. I would recommend it highly to anyone who gets the chance. I had forgotten how fun it is, and wish I had got to go out a few more times.

Michigan the Beautiful
The whole place was so green and cool. Temperatures in the high 80's, foliage all around; as an AZ girl I had to take some pictures as proof that places like this really exist.

This, my friends, is the view from the edge of the grocery store parking lot. Like I said, the whole place is pretty.
This is a field on the way to the "cottage" where we stayed. The round things are circular hay bales.
This is Jacob, on a hay bale. This photograph was inspired by a photo taken by Rodney Smith

This is the view from the backyard of the place that we stayed. It had a stretch of private beach and a dock on the south arm of Lake Charlevoix.
A photo of Jacob and the "cottage" where we stayed.

And in other random fun-ness, here is the shirt that I got Jacob.


The front says "Life is Good" and the back says "no sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway."


We're back in Provo now, after a nice flight in first class (because the airline put us there to make up for canceling one of our flights). We're recuperating a bit and getting geared up for next week's camping/Shakespearian Festival trip with MY side of the family. Really quickly before I go, I have to tell everyone that I read "The Golden Compass" by Phillip Pullman (a British author) and it is a great read. They're making it into a movie this holiday season apparently. It is the first in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Right now I'm reading book three (when I'm not reading Harry Potter or practicing my lines for the play).

No comments: