Friday, August 7, 2009

Visit to Girls' Camp

Being in the Stake YW presidency, I got to spend a little bit of time at girls' camp this week. I would have loved to have gone and stayed the whole week, but alas, it was not to be. To everything there is a season.


I went up for the evening of Monday, for the introduction of the camp theme, "Partakers of the Gift." Then I made it back for the closing evening and testimony meeting on Thursday night.

After singing camp songs (including the awesome theme song that one of the sisters wrote for the week, as well as perennial favorites like "Baby Shark") I was sitting next to a soon-to-be-high-school-senior. She looked at her wrist and was inspecting a mark on it. A common sight at camp, right?

"Did you burn yourself?" I asked.
"I don't know, I don't remember getting burned."
The blotch in question was fairly small, but a little bit puffy and red. It looked like a burn to me -- maybe a splash of water or oil from cooking over the fire. I said as much.
"Maybe it's cancer." she said.
"Yeah, it's got the jagged edges," I said, going along with the malignant mole theory for a moment. "But it looks like a burn to me."
"Well, it had better be a burn," she declared finally, "cuz I don't wanna die bald!"

I just about died laughing. Forget about, oh, painful surgeries. Chemotherapy. Radiation. Long, drawn out death. I just don't want to die bald! It killed me.

In all seriousness, though, the testimony meeting was great. Amidst all of the "I love you all"s and "I was so excited/I was so NOT excited"s there were witnesses of the Savior and his Spirit. Testimonies of the scriptures and of charity. Girls camp is great.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Ha ha. Teenagers and what they think of.