Thursday, September 10, 2009

The End of a Regime

My benevolent dictatorship has ended. This morning, when I asked Benjamin if he wanted to do something, he said, "nah." He used to say "uh-huh" to my every suggestion. *sigh* Those days are gone. But it did save me some time this morning when I thought he wanted a snack. I asked him if he wanted a cracker and he said nah, waving his hand in typical get-that-away-from-me fashion. He is now able to mentally grasp the abstract cracker! And understand his relationship to it! We are definitely progressing.

6 comments:

Annaliese said...

What I'm lamenting is that instead of Addie crying to be held, she's now doing that thing where she turns her body into a liquid and shimmies out of my arms so she can run wild.

Cami said...

I like that he has distinguished between the two waves: hello and no, not that.

Cranberryfries said...

It's a bittersweet thing to see the little ones grow up and get in to their independence. What a cutie.

Cami said...

I used your comments in math class today when we were discussing the ability of children to understand abstracts.

Denise said...

took me back to my children when they were YOUNG! Ahhhh....and now I seem to see progression in so many 'other' ways.....Kelsey learned to write her name in cursive (only because she wanted to so I wrote it once and off she went), Cody gets carted around in the car so much he now knows his way around effingham (mom, that is where we turn to take Kelsey (or Jordan or Spencer) to school, etc), jordan is playing full padded football (cringe) and has entered the realm of the one word answers (great conversationalist, this pre-teen), and spencer is heavy into flag football and art and knights and swords and knows all there is to know .... motherhood is truly ever changing!

I just found your blog via Becca's ... hope that is ok!

Kayla said...

It's always fun to see them grow up... right up until the point when they start talking back! haha! :)