Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hiatus

We leave tonight to drive to St. Louis. We'll crash at my cousin's place, then catch an early flight to SLC tomorrow. My grandmother's funeral will be on Saturday, and we will return Sunday. Just so y'all know.


Mary Elizabeth Wiltbank Burton was my grandmother, and she fought cancer for the last 5 or so years of her life. She died at home at age 81, with 5 of her 8 children at her bedside, and two others visited during the day. I am sad I won't get to see her anymore (for a while) but I'm not sad that she has passed away. From what it sounds like, it was time.

In thinking about her life, I've decided that she had a lot of love for a lot of people. Some of my favorite memories of her are from when I was in college. She would have Jacob and I over along with other members of the family who could make it for a monthly get together. It was nice to spend that time with her and with my other relatives.

2 comments:

Cranberryfries said...

My husbands grandfather just passed away and we were all so glad he can finally be in peace with his wife again. No more of this tired body for him. I'm excited to see you on Saturday.

Jenni Elyse said...

I'm glad your grandma doesn't have to suffer anymore and that you have some many fond memories of her. My grandma passed away last September and even though I miss her, I'm with you, I'm glad she went because it was time. Have a safe trip and we'll see you on Saturday.