Friday, October 29, 2010

Food, glorious food!

I have been thinking a lot about food lately.  This may be because I spend an amazing amount of time feeding people.  I'm looking forward to a phase of life when everyone can be served one thing.  As it is, I feed myself, Jacob and Benjamin one meal, then I feed Levi his own.  And it will be a while before he can eat what we eat.  I'm looking forward to cereals and such, but they're still a different meal to prepare.*

Anyway, let me write out some recommendations.  They're good enough that, if you don't know about them already, you should give them a try.

1. "Summer Sandwich" -- This beauty is a grilled cheese with a twist.  Well, a couple of twists, since grilled cheese is pretty boring.  Anyway, get your bread.  Spread it with pesto (mmm, pesto!).  Slice a tomato and put that on there too.  Top with mozzarella cheese.  Grill as you please.  I use my sandwich maker.  My friend Ashley uses her waffle iron.  You could do stovetop, but then you wouldn't get the bread all saturated with pesto and tomato juices.  It would still be dang good though.

2. Hummus -- Can I just say I love hummus?  I mean, this won't be a surprise to those who know how much I love refried beans.  Hummus is like refried garbanzo beans, basically.  That's the way I see it.  (Incidentally, I haven't figured out to make my own hummus or refried beans properly yet, though the refried beans were passable.  Most of the hummus got dumped.)  Benjamin and I eat hummus with tortilla chips, on crackers, with olives, and I'm wanting to try a hummus sandwich that I read about in Parents magazine.  I just need to find some pita bread.  Pita, hummus, olive, lettuce, tomato it would be.  I say "Benjamin and I" because Jacob never seems to get much hummus as it is all gone by the time he gets home.  This week alone Benjamin and I have eaten a full pound of it.  I buy it at Aldi (thanks to all those who recommended Aldi to me, especially Anna Frost [yummy raviolis!] and Britney Richards).

3. Chicken Satay -- I made this for the first time this week.  Wow.  I'll definitely be making it again. Got the recipe from Family Fun.   We made kebobs out of it, with onion, green pepper, and mushroom.  Next time we plan to use pineapple, too.  Seriously though, as I was making this I thought, "this is a lot of chicken...I guess we'll have plenty of leftovers."  Not a one.  It all got scarfed, and it was a big hit with Benjamin too.  He doesn't always eat a lot of chicken, but I think the dipping sauce made it so fun he couldn't resist.

I know what you're thinking now -- "where are the pictures?"  Well.  Let me just tell you that I am always too busy eating these things to bother taking pictures.  The thought occasionally crosses my mind, but then it goes away again.  Probably because it gets crowded out by the thought that goes, "mmm, delicious!"

I hope you enjoy!  Let me know if you try any of these, and if you do how you like them!  Also, let me know about recipes your family loves!

<3

Alysa

*Not that breastmilk has to be prepared, per se.  And I suppose we could ALL eat baby cereal, after all I rather like the baby cereals and have been known to eat Benjamin's leftovers.

5 comments:

tweedlediva said...

Alyssa, this is the easiest (and tastiest) hummus recipe I've ever found. It doesn't use tahini, so I think it's yummier.

1 1g garlic clove
1 can drained garbanzo beans
3 tblsp sour cream
3 tblsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cup olive oil

Add all ingredients except olive oil to food processor. Process until almost smooth. With machine running, gradually add oil. Process until smooth, scraping sides as necessary.

Enjoy!!!

Alysa Stewart said...

What if I don't have a food processor? Because I don't. Will a blender work?

Maybe I'll get a food processor for Christmas. I've been wanting lots of kitchen stuff. Juicer. Ice cream maker. Bread machine. Food processor. Kitchen scale. Double boiler. Cake pans. Springform pan. Garlic press. Loaf pans.

I've been wanting sewing stuff too. Like a rotary cutter and mat. Also pins. And good scissors.

I'm beginning to see that a lack of proper materials is cramping my style. Maybe now that I've actually made a list I will remember to buy some of these things at the store.

tweedlediva said...

I think a blender would work. Or you can always come over and borrow my food processor. Or any of the other kitchen stuff on your wish list (we have everything except for the bread machine and the juicer).

Annaliese said...

I admit both pesto and hummus are on that list of cultured sounding foods that I've never really tried. Someday I'll have to get brave.

Helen Macfarlane said...

You have to get a proper garlic press. I've found Zylis makes the best. A MUST HAVE.

I'm making that delicious looking chicken recipe TONIGHT. Yum. Who knows, my kids might even eat it.