Friday, September 21, 2007

Girl at Sea

Girl at Sea
Maureen Johnson, 323 pages

Despite the dorky cover of this book, (which very obviously does not depict its main character) it turned out to be a fun read. It just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover.

The book is one part adventure (summer on a boat in the Mediterranean, anyone? How about with your wacky dad?), one part romance (first kiss included) and one part mystery (I won't tell you what happens...). It's a ton of fun. Clio is an artist with a little bit of spunk. She's not too happy when her dad tears her away from the summer that's shaping up so well to go on one of his kooky trips.

Johnson (or as I like to think of her, Secret Sister Maureen; B2.0 anyone? anyone?) has a great sense of humor. I chuckled quite a bit, when I wasn't chewing on my lip in anticipation. I keep wanting to put a funny quote in, right here, but I can't bring myself to spoil any of the fun for you. And I don't want to be sued for copyright infringement or anything. Anyway, our author knows what its like to be in the head of a perceptive, conscientious and occasionally sassy teenager.

Have fun with this one!

1 comment:

Ransom said...

putting funny quotes in your review is explicitly allowed by copyright law. Just so's ya know.